Tuesday 8 April 2014

Continous Integration and Continous Delivery - Pitfall pattern when building and deploying software for the enterprise

Part 3: Root Causes

So what went wrong with the setup Jack put together before he quit?

  • Misconceptions about CI/CD?
  • Lack of domain understanding?
  • Poor tooling?
  • Mischief?
  • Complex software?
  • Bureaucracy?
I don't have an answer, it always depends on the context in which you are working.
But I have been a "Jack" for many years and I have seen a lot of "Jack's" around. All great, intelligent colleagues which I admire for various reasons.

In my time as "Jack" I have spotted 2 things which all of these guys, including myself, did wrong:
  1. Lack of domain separation and understanding, see my previous post.
  2. Bad/misguided tooling or wrong use of tooling
In my next post i will elaborate on what i mean with misguided tooling.

Next: Part 4: Bloated Tooling



No comments:

Post a Comment